Terrorism, insurgency & irregular warfare
Books & monographs
Papers, chapters & articles
- “Weaponizing Ridicule,” Military Review (US Army Combined Arms Center, Fort Leavenworth), September-October 2017.
- “Understanding Subversion: Non-Violent Warfare in an Age of Countering Violent Extremism,” paper delivered at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, NC, September 12, 2016.
- “Designing an Information Warfare Campaign Against the Global Jihadi Movement,” in Threat Knowledge Group, The Islamic State and Information Warfare: Defeating ISIS and the Broader Global Jihadist Movement (John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School, 2015).
- “The Muslim Brotherhood: Doctrine, Strategy, Operations & Vulnerabilities,” in Anna Bekele and Patrick Sookhdeo, eds., Meeting the Ideological Challenge of Islamism: How to Combat Modern Radical Islam (Westminster Institute/Isaac Publishing, 2015).
- “Making Jihad Work for America,” Journal of International Security Affairs, March 2006.
- “Prisons as Terrorist Breeding Grounds,” in James Forest, ed., The Making of a Terrorist, Vol. 1 of 3 (Praeger, 2005). Project of the Combating Terrorism Center, US Military Academy at West Point.
- “International Terrorism: The Communist Connection Revisited,” for the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation (Crossbow, 2002).
- “What Happened to the Soviet Terror Networks?” paper delivered at Hanns-Seidel Stiftung, Wildbad Kreuth, Germany, May 2001.
- “Deception and Denial by Non-State Actors: The Case of Russian Organized Crime,” paper delivered at the National Strategy Information Center, September 1999.
- “Primakov’s Imperial Line,” Perspective (Boston University Institute for the Study of Conflict, Ideology and Policy), Vol. VII, No. 3, January-February 1997.
- “DGI and KGB Political Operations in the United States,” in Brian Crozier, The KGB Lawsuits (London: Claridge Press, 1995).
- “Who Is Making Russian Foreign Policy?” Perspective (Boston University Institute for the Study of Conflict, Ideology and Policy), Vol V, No. 3, January-February 1995. Making RF For Pol Persp copy
- “Organized Crime and the Russian State: Challenges to US-Russian Cooperation,” Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization, Vol. 2, No. 3, Summer 1994.
- “The Nicaraguan Resistance at a Crossroads,” with Enrique Bermudez, Strategic Review, Spring 1989.